Cold Start Probs.

Battery tender is excellent idea but the biggest thing I have found is to make sure you leave it in neutral makes a large difference. I guess not turning as many parts in cold lubricant.

Guys can't remember where I read it but one captain did a bit of looking and found that connections on the starter motor was a bit dirty and found after cleaning them up his problems were gone, I know one thing thT makes me believe that is the fact that all the rubber fittings on my bike seem to be perishing prematurely and the start is in a fairly exposed area, that's the first place I'll be looking if I start to get issues

The cold starting has been an issue for a lot of Captains from the very beginning. Trying to start a car engine with a lawnmower battery in cold weather doesn't always work. Some Captains have no problems whatsoever and others such as myself have had to wrestle with the issue every year.

I first tried the Odyssey PC-625 but it proved to be a false hope. However, prior to this last winter I install a Scorpion Battery and it made it through the winter just fine. This is a drop-in replacement for the stocker: Scorpion Battery Replacement Battery For Harley Davidson # 65989-97B 12 Volt AGM Sealed Battery- Free Shipping

I don't know about a source in Auzland but if you can find it, it works well.

Also, a battery tender is a must in the winter.
You sure its a drop-in? No mods? I need to get something soon.;)

Issues. Looks like I'm not the only one. I just got my winter riding gear today and I'll be ****ed if I let the cold stop me from riding this winter. The Shorai battery is hella expensive, but it would be worth it if it let's me ride all winter with no starting issues.
I see one negative post about it. Anyone had good luck with this battery?

I think if I was having starting problems, I would consider beefing up the wiring from the battery to the starter motor. As Hanso says make sure the contacts are clean and have a good contact area. Electricity is like water, if you constrict the flow the power won't get through. The area where the constriction is should get hotter than the rest of the circuit (resistance), this is the same effect seen in the ignition switch meltdown. Remember the earth also needs good contact as well, sometimes an earth strap to the engine will help (if not fitted already).

I found that a battery tender can make all the difference in the world in battery performance and life. It can take a couple of cranks to start it when cold, but it fires up. You guys aren't twisting the throttle are you?

I got over 5 years out of my original battery and I replaced it as a precausionary measure. I put it in my son's power wheels tractor where it still holds a good charge.

Back