Cold Start Probs.

This is my first winter in a car port rather than a garage and twice it wouldn't start. Never had the problem before. Unfortunately, my drive slopes too - the wrong way so had to jump start it. But jeez it gets colder here than where you are. I bought a bike cover and it does the trick, even when sub-zero. Maybe your battery is tired/sick/old??

The cold starting has been an issue for a lot of Captains from the very beginning. Trying to start a car engine with a lawnmower battery in cold weather doesn't always work. Some Captains have no problems whatsoever and others such as myself have had to wrestle with the issue every year.

I first tried the Odyssey PC-625 but it proved to be a false hope. However, prior to this last winter I install a Scorpion Battery and it made it through the winter just fine. This is a drop-in replacement for the stocker: Scorpion Battery Replacement Battery For Harley Davidson # 65989-97B 12 Volt AGM Sealed Battery- Free Shipping

I don't know about a source in Auzland but if you can find it, it works well.

Also, a battery tender is a must in the winter.

I will say that the Shorai 36A3 is a monster.
Not cheap, but 540 CCA, 36 ah, and less than 5 LBS/2.26kg!

We've only had these in stock for a few weeks, but like the other Shorai batteries, very impressive. And like all Shorai batteries, we will not be undersold - I just can't advertise our prices on the new large case size batteries.

-Wayne

The cold starting has been an issue for a lot of Captains from the very beginning. Trying to start a car engine with a lawnmower battery in cold weather doesn't always work. Some Captains have no problems whatsoever and others such as myself have had to wrestle with the issue every year.

I first tried the Odyssey PC-625 but it proved to be a false hope. However, prior to this last winter I install a Scorpion Battery and it made it through the winter just fine. This is a drop-in replacement for the stocker: Scorpion Battery Replacement Battery For Harley Davidson # 65989-97B 12 Volt AGM Sealed Battery- Free Shipping

I don't know about a source in Auzland but if you can find it, it works well.

Also, a battery tender is a must in the winter.

I also got the Scorpion for mine last fall and kept in on a tender. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Mine is very difficult to start under about 40 degrees F (4C for the rest of the world) due to the battery dying previously if it had to crank for any time at all. As I recall it has more cranking amps than most of the more popular batteries and the same warranty. I think I paid about $75 or $80 for it shipped.

Just heading in to colder weather here and have experienced the "no start" twice now.

Switched to a Shorai battery, what a waste of $ that was! Not a bit of difference:mad:

Has anybody tried running lighter oil in an R3? Something like you would do in a 4 wheeler or the likes.

Cheers

Jthree

Back