Cold abatement additions

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
For Christmas, I recieved Hippo Hands and Engine Guard Chaps. They are now on the bike and seem to be a bonus. I rode to work this last week in 22F degree weather with no hint of cold hands and the small amount of wind block from the chaps is noticable.

The guards are super easy to install in the dark but do the chap install when you have light...

123014a.jpg
123014b.jpg
123014c.jpg

Interesting. Those appear to be far more practical and serviceable than the Moose Paws I used to use. I may have to order a pair.

As always, thanks for the timely tip, with pictures !

Are those the actual Hippo Hands brand?
Same as @Joesmoe I have the Moose (Drool) Utility and they are cheap, and work fine, but their lack of body makes for some nervous moment trying to re-enter hands after scratching your nose while riding along the highway.
Those you have look to be stiff enough to pull hand(s) in and out without problems.
http://www.hippohands.com/HHMed UC.htm

Not sure I like those lowers covering the rad exit that much..

I use ACERBIS DUAL ROAD hand protectors - and made some lower thingies out of Carbon fibre reinforced rubber and LEXAN.

full

@1olbull These are the actual HippoHands and they passed the "85MPH, 22F degrees in the dark test" on the first ride. I had to catch my fleeing scarf (another Christmas present) and of course had to reinsert my hand afterwards. I couldn't look down to see where the opening is but had no problem finding it and then grabbing the grip once more.
@barbagris you way looks quite sufficient brother. I am not worried about the air flow through the radiator at this time. There is about 2 inches of free space between the two that is not visible in the pictures.

Boog, do you have a link to the engine guards you used, and any fitment notes to offer ?

Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

F___ me ! I got into film photography just as the digital revolution was kicking camera makers in the ass, and driving film to brink of extinction. I got into large bore (read, > .50 cal) black powder just as the .50 cal inlines dominated the market, and I have a devil of a time finding larger projectiles.

Liking the looks of the Hippo Hands, and what do I see ?

"We need to let our customers know that we have stopped production of Hippo Hands. Someone once said "you should live each day as if it was your last, and one day you will be right". Once our present stock runs out, we will no longer be in business. "

It says they are still accepting orders, so I purchased a couple . . . medium and large for different bikes . . . the PayPal took my money . . . then the return page (which usually says "Thank you for your order") shows "404 not found".

Their note also says they'll be back from holiday break on 18 Jan . . . will cross my fingers until then, and continue feeling like a dinosaur.

Dan K, who owned the Hippo Hands business, is a member of my local BMW club. He retired from the business about a year ago. We exchanged a couple emails about me buying the business from him, I'm real curious if someone ended up buying it.

And this note just received in response to my order:

"Hello Sr/Madam,

Thanks for your purchase. Unfortunately that model of Hippohands has just sold out. We will update the website when we return from holidays. We will refund your payment later today.

Sorry

Daniel Klestorny

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone"

He adds that he is still in discussions with prospective buyers for the business -- now is your chance !

Last edited:
Back