Clacking Sound from Bike

jake shaw

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket Touring
My 05 has developed an occasional "clacking " sound, that is the best I can describe it. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike but am not completely sure. I have checked the front & rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings. There does not seem to be undue play in the drive train. All splines have been greased regularly. It has 120000 km on it now. No noises when the engine is running. Any thoughts?

maybe take rubber mallet or a piece of wood and tap front tire to see if you can hear clacking while bike is sitting still.

You haven't said when you hear it. Under brakes or just when riding? It could be your steering head bearing is worn or needs tightening, or even just the big chrome nut at the top.
Also could be play in your floating discs.

You haven't said when you hear it. Under brakes or just when riding? It could be your steering head bearing is worn or needs tightening, or even just the big chrome nut at the top.
Also could be play in your floating discs.
It is when I am riding it. Have checked Head stock bearings, they seem good. The bike is on my ramp. I am going to run it in gear with the rear jacked up to see if I can locate the noise. Will check the front fender also.

Check the radiator surrounds and grill, as well as all the hex screws around the front and sides for tightness.

Back