Change Your Brake Fluid

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I just finished helping out a friend who thought he had a bad caliper or master cylinder. Was not getting the braking power it should. I decided to change out the brake fluid. The old stuff came out black. This guy runs hard through the twisty, so he builds up a lot of heat. Plus brake fluid will absorb water.
After about 20 minutes and a can of brake fluid , they are working like new. If left to long it can pit the cylinder walls, and then it gets real expensive fast.

I believe tests have shown once brake fluid gets too hot it boils and forms gas bubbles requiring a change.

Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years or 20,000km (whichever comes first) as does go off

This may sound a bit over the edge , but I go through my bikes every year. One of the things I do is spend 20 minutes changing the brake fluid. I have never had to change out m, or O-haul a caliper or master cylinder.
BTW you can pick up a hose that has a one-way check valve in it that makes the job really easy.

What type of brake fluid do our rockets require? regular DOT 3?

This may sound a bit over the edge , but I go through my bikes every year. One of the things I do is spend 20 minutes changing the brake fluid. I have never had to change out m, or O-haul a caliper or master cylinder.
BTW you can pick up a hose that has a one-way check valve in it that makes the job really easy.

Sounds like standard PMS there Senior... Do you have a PQS to go along with your SOP?

I figured after after reading these comments on changing the fluid on brakes I might finally do it .i looked at the fluid after changing it and it didn't seem any diffent to the new fluid . The brakes work about the same ,the rotors seem fine and the pads are about a third worn .i won't leave it so long next time .ive actually done 84,000 km,s on the fluid

Back