Change oil filter without draining oil?

valkraider

.040 Over
Since the R3 has a dry sump, is it possible to change the oil filter without completely draining the oil?

I changed my oil and filter and the filter isn't fitting correctly, when I shut off the bike oil will leak from the filter for a minute or so.

I went with the longer filter (described here in various threads) and I am wondering if it's just not mating up. I need to replace it but I really want to know if all my new oil will drain out...

Thanks!

--
"Officer, I know I was going faster than 55mph, but I wasn't going to be on the road an hour." -Steven Wright

Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

i dont think it wil drain out but u can put a clean container under it when u change just in case then put the oil back in if it does leak out

If you run the engine for a minute, most of the oil will be pulled into the tank. Immediately deal with the filter and use a clean catch bowl for minimal loss.

I didn't start it up because it seemed to leak most after running. I pulled of the filter and only what was in the filter drained out.

So yes, you can pull of the filter without all the oil draining out.

--
"Officer, I know I was going faster than 55mph, but I wasn't going to be on the road an hour." -Steven Wright

Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Back