Carpenters new pipe, heat shields required?

forklift

Supercharged
Ride
2014 rocket 3 roadster
Have had my new header on my 2014 Roadster for 850+ miles riding in up to 98 degree days and have not felt any discomfort from heat. I do believe the results would not be the same on a Classic or Touring model where the foot position in farther foward. But for the Roadster the new style Carpenter pipe is the ticket. Any Rocket Roadster pilot will not need heat shields.

20150726_082823-1.jpg 20150721_211129.jpg 20150721_210155.jpg

Are those welds as obvious in reality as they are in the pictures?

idkdidn't know what you ost: 339892 said:
Are those welds as obvious in reality as they are in the pictures?
At first I didn't know what you were talking about. Then I looked at the center picture and it looks like there is a split or gash in the pipe. I then remembered I had taken the picture in low light and it was the perfect storm of bad lighting, shadows, and angle. I just retook a picture so here it is
20150817_185528.jpg

In that case, I can't say that I like the quality of the workmanship. Those welds stand out like a sore thumb to me, and the fact that it held together with springs suggest (to me at least) that the amount of tolerance creep can be too much and so they need flexibility to fit the bikes. I'm sorry, but when I compare them to work done by others, it is disappointing. Just as a comparison, these 2" headers are made by http://www.vikingexhaust.com/ in New Zealand.

VikingExhaustHeader.jpeg

VikingExhaust.jpeg

The tail pipe in the second picture is just a mock up for the photo. I have no affiliation with them, so am not pushing anything. Even my Thugs made by Sam a few years back have no visible joins and bolt on perfectly.

@forklift
A fine looking motor you have there!
Just yesterday @albertaduke and I were returning from a two day ride.
He has Jardines 3-2 and I CES 3-1. We had no burning britches issues BUT!!!
Being stuck in stop & go traffic on a 90° afternoon became UN***INGBEARABLE to our legs after about 15 minutes!!!
He had to place his knees on the saddle and I chose to cheat and ride the narrow shoulder past traffic for a couple miles to our turn off.
Perhaps we are just two old pusses, but this huge engine is a HOT MF regardless the exhaust system!!!

Looking at your pix, I find it hard to understand that #3 is not REAL close to your right leg.
Could you post a photo with you mounted, right foot on peg?

In that case, I can't say that I like the quality of the workmanship. Those welds stand out like a sore thumb to me, and the fact that it held together with springs suggest (to me at least) that the amount of tolerance creep can be too much and so they need flexibility to fit the bikes. I'm sorry, but when I compare them to work done by others, it is disappointing. Just as a comparison, these 2" headers are made by http://www.vikingexhaust.com/ in New Zealand.

VikingExhaustHeader.jpeg

VikingExhaust.jpeg

The tail pipe in the second picture is just a mock up for the photo. I have no affiliation with them, so am not pushing anything. Even my Thugs made by Sam a few years back have no visible joins and bolt on perfectly.[/QUOT
To each his own but if you look at the distances between the exhaust nut and the header pipe. It looks like 1 3/4" tubing on your favorite header at best.

VikingExhaustHeader.jpeg

VikingExhaust.jpeg

The tail pipe in the second picture is just a mock up for the photo. I have no affiliation with them, so am not pushing anything. Even my Thugs made by Sam a few years back have no visible joins and bolt on perfectly.
Ian Paul makes a great pipe but so far he has only produced 1&5/8" as in you picture. He also makes a reducer so one can run the OEM pipes until they decide to go larger. He is pretty busy with them right now but will be making 3 different pipe sizes when it is all said and done.

@forklift
A fine looking motor you have there!
Just yesterday @albertaduke and I were returning from a two day ride.
He has Jardines 3-2 and I CES 3-1. We had no burning britches issues BUT!!!
Being stuck in stop & go traffic on a 90° afternoon became UN***INGBEARABLE to our legs after about 15 minutes!!!
He had to place his knees on the saddle and I chose to cheat and ride the narrow shoulder past traffic for a couple miles to our turn off.
Perhaps we are just two old pusses, but this huge engine is a HOT MF regardless the exhaust system!!!

Looking at your pix, I find it hard to understand that #3 is not REAL close to your right leg.
Could you post a photo with you mounted, right foot on peg?
I took several pics to try and answer your questions. I wear a size 13 boot, I'm 6' 235lbs and since I was 14 I've been able to palm a basketball in each hand. I wanted to show that my foot is completely on the foot peg with heel all the way foward and I have a complete 4" from rear header pipe.
20150817_194818.jpg
20150817_194818.jpg
20150817_194837.jpg

Attachments

• 20150817_194847.jpg
    20150817_194847.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 6

VikingExhaustHeader.jpeg

VikingExhaust.jpeg

I tried to reply before but here goes. To each his own but by looking at the spacing between the exhaust nut and header pipe it's evident that it is not a 2" pipe. As another pilot replied it's 1 5/8". It's much easier to make a significantly smaller pipe fit better.

I think the Sidewinder exhaust looks great, the welds are expected when trying to form a bend on a 2" pipe. I can live with it. I presume you had the ecu flashed as well? Remind me again what intake are you using? Ram Air? K/N's?

Back