Buying tires over the Internet

Put on a HANKOOK 225/55/16 v rated for 98.00 and tax for the tire and 30 at a local bike shop I removed it myself a total of 135.00 sure does beat 400+and 5 times mileage and you also need to watch most bike shops cannot balance the 240 you have to use the old style static balancing automatic machines tire is too big. Don't let them charge you for something they are not doing

just put a Bridgestone 240 55 16 on last week. Cheapest I could get was $425 supplied and fitted. Probably could have gone to Brisbane and got a few dollars cheaper but what the hell!!

I'd be interested in your views on it Al. Had mine on for several weeks now and so far I'm really liking the extra profile (ride and looks) and it has much better grip than Metz or Avon in the wet. One bonus is that I can bump down over the curb next to where I park at work and not risk scraping - means I miss a painfully slow set of lights in the afternoon.

Kiwi said he'd found these on-line for less than half price with pretty cheap shipping. Could be worth a look for next time, although someone told me you get stung for duty when you "import" tyres. Anyone know the situation there (in Oz)?

I've used Jake Wilson. Very fair on their tires. There is a local
tire shop here that has a motorcycle tire changer. $20.00 per
tire. I have a Touring and realy like the Dunlop D251's.

yes Richard so far so good, it is a noticable difference from the Metz. I have 42lb in mine, seems ok?
Someone told me about getting caught with duty on an imported tyre, shame coz they are really cheap in US.

I use http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ to find a tire at a decent price. I also mount and balance my own tires. I paid $300 (or you can go to Harbor Frieght for 1/2 that) for the tire changer in 2001. I've changed about 100 tires since. So the fixture cost about $3.00/tire (so far, it gets cheaper every time I use it). The balancer was a factory second (the paint wasn't right) I got for $50.00. Do the math and if you change tires frequently (I've also used it to repair my tractor front tires), DIY is a cheaper way to go.;)

Back