Buying me a Gold Wing

good question.. i think gpmaz should "take one for the team" so we can find out how this scam works.. just say'n

I'd really like to Sam, but I'm saving my money for a new radiator I've heard somebody was working hard to perfect.

From that detailed description of the transaction I don't see how they have a scam. I mean I know it's there, I just don't seem to get it. Maybe I'm just too honest a person or something. Where are they making the money? :confused:

Are they asking for a deposit prior to seeing the bike? That would just be silly.

It must be true it is on the internet;)

They were talking about these same type of scams on the Clark Howard show talk radio a few weeks back. That's like they will send you a cashiers check for $5000 you send them back $500 2 weeks later your bank calls you and tells you the check was bogus and you owe the bank $5000 plus the $500 you sent to them. :mad:

initially i viewed these scams as cheap entertainment until i personally saw my elderly grandfather fall hook line and sinker for one and then it became clear to me that there is a dangerous deficiency of cynicism in our society and especially the elderly!!!!

From that detailed description of the transaction I don't see how they have a scam. I mean I know it's there, I just don't seem to get it. Maybe I'm just too honest a person or something. Where are they making the money? :confused:

Are they asking for a deposit prior to seeing the bike? That would just be silly.

Its an identity theft scam. The bike is just a stage prop to distract the victim.

In these scams it is always crucial that the sucker provide his full name,address,phone number and any other tid bits of info about yourself.
Then they use the info to build a profile and use it to open accounts in your name,either for laundering money or borrowing.

I was always horrified when my elderly mother would answer the phone and give out all sorts of personal information about herself,or sometimes the rest of the family to complete strangers.
Sometimes people would phone her number looking for me(I hadnt lived with her for years) and she would tell them everything about me.
When she told me,I would ask who it was.
Mum would answer "I dont know,they didnt say":mad::D

Back