Buying a Rocket - Issues?

Bazdog

.020 Over
I am hearing that i need to buy an 07 or newer bike as the earlier models have a high % of engine bearing failures and transmission problems.

Any comments? Does Triumph cover these failures out of warranty and is is a permanent fix?

Best pipes? Anything else?

Thanks!:confused:

Have the dealer do a search on the VIN. It'll tell you if that bike needs a triumph supplied update kit. Not all do.
R3's are the most fun you can have on a cruiser style bike hands down.

+1 What King said.

And from what I hear, Triumph honors the issues that resulted from poor engineering or assembly and manufacture. In fact they have been very good about it.

Good luck!

mutt

There seems to be 2 main issues with the earlier models, 1) the transmission issue and 2) the cam chain "paint can rattle" issue. Both are only on a very small % of bikes and both are solved with Triumph supplied and installed Upgrade Kits. Triumph has an excellent track record in covering these issues even on bikes that are technically out of warrently. My "paint can rattle" was covered out of warrenty.

As far as pipes go, that's a big debate. It depend on what you are after: loudness, power increase, looks, etc? There are quite a number of threads on exhaust systems so certainly make use of the Search function.

Triumph is very secretive about exactly when factory upgrades and internal design changes take place, so no one seems to rellay know. They are having trouble with earlier models, I have an 06 that has been rebuilt but it cost me nothing other than loos of motorcycle, which, in the winter really is no loss.

Does Triumph correct the defficiencies...Yes.

Is there inherent problems and/or design defficiencies? I don't believe so. With any machine, there are going to be teething problems. Triumph stands behind the repairs 100% so it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

It seems that the real crux of any warranty related repair, especially internal engine work, is having the RIGHT dealer. Not all dealers are created equal just like not all of us have the same color or model of bike or even the same brand. If, your bike has a problem and it's a warranty issue...an internal warranty issue, you need to do youur homework and make arrangements to take the bike to a dealer competent and experienced in the particular problem you are experiencing and capable of repairing it.

Not all dealers can do do both well. It's entirely up to you to make that decision based on knowledge you obtain from sites like this, word of mouth and your own experience.

It works the same way as your automobile dealer. Some are good and some suck.

Every bike has it's flaws. Gold Wings break frame welds, BMW's break Paralever castings, Kawasaki's burn oil, HD's eat cam bearing journals and crack cases... So long as the factory is aware and admits responsibility and repairs/replaces the affected parts/assemblies at no cost to you (other than non-use time), it matters not.

On the other end of the scale, I have an early model (July '04) with 43,000 miles on it and have not had any mechanical issues at all. In fact my bike is running great right now..

As far as pipes, they are a personal preference. I have been running the TORs/cat bypass combo for a long time and I LOVE the sound of them, and the motor revs much more freely than with stock exhaust. However, after hearing Britman's Jardines at RAA III, I am now about $30 shy of pulling the trigger on a set of Jardines, probably next week.. :)

On the other end of the scale, I have an early model (July '04) with 43,000 miles on it and have not had any mechanical issues at all. In fact my bike is running great right now..

As far as pipes, they are a personal preference. I have been running the TORs/cat bypass combo for a long time and I LOVE the sound of them, and the motor revs much more freely than with stock exhaust. However, after hearing Britman's Jardines at RAA III, I am now about $30 shy of pulling the trigger on a set of Jardines, probably next week.. :)

Never fear, your TDU output bearing is installed backward. The shielding is just passing enough oil that it's not destroying the bearing.:D

Hope I'm in that savings account too.

So-issues with the Rocket? Only one for sure-you'll HATE every day you don't ride it!
I put Jardines on mine-love the sound.

I am hearing that i need to buy an 07 or newer bike as the earlier models have a high % of engine bearing failures and transmission problems.

Any comments? Does Triumph cover these failures out of warranty and is is a permanent fix?

Best pipes? Anything else?

Thanks!:confused:

I don't know if I would say that "earlier models have a high % of engine bearing failures and transmission problems". Remember that we rarely hear about all the happy owners who have had no problems. It is only human nature to speak up when things go wrong and to stay quiet while everything is fine.

That said, I did own a 2005 RIII purchased in mid-2004. After 42000 miles the shifter linkage inside the engine came uncoupled leaving it stuck in 5th gear. Triumph agreed to fix the problem and also install the upgrade kit which effectively brought the entire bike up to 2007 model specs. My only expense was the time and gas to trailer my bike to the dealer.

I no longer have my RIII but would not hesitate to buy another bike from Triumph knwoing how well they stand behind their products.

Back