Buying a bike...trouble deciding between the 2.

Akita, I have spent a fair amount of time on a GS but bought an R3. Harleys are just not in the same league. I think the GS is a more competent long distance traveler, but the R3 is just lots more fun along the way. You have a lot of choices for performance modifying the R3. I am as interested in maximizing the handling as boosting the power. The R3 handles surprisingly well for its size in stock form, but adding performance shocks and maximizing the lean angle and riding position with modified footboards makes a huge difference. I also put on Staintune pipes with a cat delete and besides a major increase in punch the sound is much deeper and more pleasant without being significantly louder. I have the Triumph tune that goes with this and have never experienced the decel popping.

just get the Rocket, you know you want that 2300 cc powerplant between your legs.
The rock will do anything any other bike will do if handled correctly.
Mine goes up and down a very steep hill everyday on gravel, with a 90 degree turn right at the bottom
you have to start before you're all the way down, :eek: no problems.:p
It's also been 1/2 way across this country twice now, and fixin to be the third time (MV);).
Get the rocket, you won't regret it.
Oh yea, welcome aboard.

Staintune pipes?

Akita, I have spent a fair amount of time on a GS but bought an R3. Harleys are just not in the same league. I think the GS is a more competent long distance traveler, but the R3 is just lots more fun along the way. You have a lot of choices for performance modifying the R3. I am as interested in maximizing the handling as boosting the power. The R3 handles surprisingly well for its size in stock form, but adding performance shocks and maximizing the lean angle and riding position with modified footboards makes a huge difference. I also put on Staintune pipes with a cat delete and besides a major increase in punch the sound is much deeper and more pleasant without being significantly louder. I have the Triumph tune that goes with this and have never experienced the decel popping.

Fastfreight? How do you like the Staintunes? Did you use their collector or the Triumph unit. I have not seen what the Staintune unit looks like. They do not show on their website. How is the sound? Do you have the 3 in to 2 or 3 in to 3? Also did you pull the restrictors out?

Jars

Akita Man,
Welcome to the site. I recently bought an '07 R3 Standard and had the Jars installed by the service dept. The service manager loaded a Triumph 20227 tune, which, by all accounts, is too lean. The bike does pop considerably on decel, but certainly no more than my '92 Harley did after installing aftermarket slip ons. It certainly isn't unridable (I've got almost 400 miles so far), but have already purchased a Tuneboy starter kit and will download a tune designed by Pig9r (thanks again!) as soon as it arrives. Can't comment on the GS as I've not owned or ridden one, but I can't imagine anyone not being completely satisfied with the R3. It's as monstrous as it is beautiful.

Mike

I am very happy with the Staintunes. I put on their collector (that is the 'cat delete') and the pipes are 3-3. I think they are very good looking. They are essentially horizontal, parallel and closer to the bike instead of splayed out like the stock pipes. The upper pipe on the right side is brought in and down. I like the sound a lot. It is a mellow baritone rumble kind of sound that reminds me a lot of a 60's muscle car. I listened to the sound bites that 9er refers to before I bought mine but they don't do justice to the real thing. I notice now that when I roll into the bike gathering spots on a Sunday morning heads turn to see what's coming. I wouldn't pull the restrictors out because I don't want them louder than they are now, which is not much more than stock just a much more pleasing sound quality.

I owned an 05 GS and could never get the air flow right. Tried two aftermarket shields, both didn't provide the level of comfort I wanted for freeway travel. I think the shield is too far away from the rider to be useful. Interesting bike, good mid range power, road well but was too light in the front end. Put a good side wind on the bike and you get moved around. Great on gas and it could haul a lot of weight.

The triumph stock seat stinks. Replace it, put some highway pegs on, the taller windshield and ride. You will just have to stop more often for fuel.

Welcome BTW

Sold my 04 GSA 1150 to buy the rocket, I see you have made your choice.

Welcome aboard. Both are great bikes, as others on here have said.

LS

There is another poster on here that has 2 like me (KLR and R3). I'm sure Ugarte will be chiming in somewhere along the line.

Yup, the Rocket and KLR make a good pair. The KLR is like one of those prizes out of a box of cracker jacks, but with a few key add ons it really transforms into a capable off roader and even a tourer, and if you drop it......who cares? Love going up and down curbs with the KLR, its just a frikkin fun bike all around.

I have been lucky with my 05 Rocket, have not had any of the problems others have experienced and it now has 62k miles and still runs like new with no oil consumption. Its also a frikken fun bike all around, but for different reasons. An added plus to the Rocket, my arms are longer now and so I no longer need the expensive Rivco risers and can stay with the stock config. Have done several 800 mile days on the Rocket, it tours just fine.

Back