Brigdgestone Excedra Max Rear tire

BigAl1952

Old Opinionated Bastard
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I have a good friend who is about ready to put one on and is wondering how well this tires sticks in the curves. For those of you that push it to the limit and love the twistys with your Rocket how well does this one stick? Thanks Al

I bought my R3 classic about 2 years ago. The previous owner had just put on a new Bridgestone Excedra Max before I purchased the bike. I am relatively new to the "twisties", but the tire seems to have handled fine - scraped floorboards and all. After roughly 10,000 miles, it is still on the bike. I consider myself a fairly conservative rider, I don't take a curve faster than I can control the bike, I don't burn rubber at intersections, peel out, or ride in a way as to cause excessive wear (I do like to open up the throttle on an open freeway though). I still have decent tread on it, but I will probably change it out at the end of summer.

It's great in the twisties! Night and day compared to the Metz. Holds well wet and dry, no issues scraping the board rails. No doubt there are many who push farther than me, but I don't think you'll find a more highly recommended rear for the rocket. If he's running on tracks he may need something sticker, but if he's staying on the road, go with the max.

I have a good friend who is about ready to put one on and is wondering how well this tires sticks in the curves. For those of you that push it to the limit and love the twistys with your Rocket how well does this one stick? Thanks Al

The Excedra Max works good for me, Amigo!
Now riding on my third one.

Dragon_1.jpg

The Metz has a slightly softer/stickier compound than the E Max, but the E Max is just the better tire all the way around for my money and I ride almost exclusively in the hills, dales and twisties.

At 13K miles on mine, I encountered a moment of immaturity and found myself in the predawn fog at 105 mph in a sweet sweeper. I was too fast before the curve especially in the fog. The pavement was wet and I had no choice but to pull the bike way low in the curve in hopes of staying on the pavement. The Excedra Maxes (well broke in as they are) held firm, otherwise I may not be able to report on my ignorance... does that count?

At 13K miles on mine, I encountered a moment of immaturity and found myself in the predawn fog at 105 mph in a sweet sweeper. I was too fast before the curve especially in the fog. The pavement was wet and I had no choice but to pull the bike way low in the curve in hopes of staying on the pavement. The Excedra Maxes (well broke in as they are) held firm, otherwise I may not be able to report on my ignorance... does that count?

Did you need to stop at a rest area or Gas station shortly there after?

No, I was on the kind of high that only a fast bike in the fog can give you. I felt as if I was bulldoggin' a steer though. I just leaned way forward and down and the big bike followed. Of course, after the curve, the grey hairs kicked in and I slowed to an appropriate speed for the conditions. I do love the tires for saving my bacon that morning.

I to appreciate my tires once and a while when they save my dumb a$$:)

Back