albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
now anybody to enlighten me on the difference between the exedra max and the ultra high performance exedra G852 they are both made by bridgestone both in R3 sizebut with different threads patterns could they be just the same model

The G852 is the Exedra, first introduced around 1984. The Exedra Max is the updated version and is claimed to be a far superior tyre to the Exedra because of improved compound which gives longer life and better grip. I've only used Exedra Max on the rear so I can't comment on whether it's actually better, although I did try an Exedra on the front and was very unimpressed with mileage (grip was good though).

The Max on the rear gives me double the mileage I got out of Metz and 50% more than Avon, grips much better than both, especially in the wet, and I really like the advantages of the higher profile - better ride, taller gearing, improved clearance, looks etc. Simply better all round.

I'd go with the Exdra Max over the Exedra (G852).

The G852 is the Exedra, first introduced around 1984. The Exedra Max is the updated version and is claimed to be a far superior tyre to the Exedra because of improved compound which gives longer life and better grip. I've only used Exedra Max on the rear so I can't comment on whether it's actually better, although I did try an Exedra on the front and was very unimpressed with mileage (grip was good though).

The Max on the rear gives me double the mileage I got out of Metz and 50% more than Avon, grips much better than both, especially in the wet, and I really like the advantages of the higher profile - better ride, taller gearing, improved clearance, looks etc. Simply better all round.

I'd go with the Exdra Max over the Exedra (G852).

all that makes a lot of sense, the ad I saw was from a dealer trying maybe to off load some old stock ...thanks for the update I have to swap rear tire in about 2000kms right after the RAT rally in nelson BC on the 18th so it will be the exedra max period. my front (avon )is still good for another season

And when you need to replace the Avon on the front, I'd recommend you do it with another Avon - unless you're up for a size change.

I do not plan on changing front size so avon it will be unless there is an improvement of some sort with a different sized tire
thanks for the update

There is a massive improvement that a smaller sized front tire will deliver. The Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 or the B'stone Exedra Max 130/70 17 will both make the bike feel hundreds of pounds lighter, dramatically improving turn-in, tracking and overall handling including much, much better cornering at any and all speeds. The 240 Exedra Max in the rear mated to its 130 sister (that sounds bad:rolleyes:) up front also reduces the rake angle from about 32 degrees stock to about 30 degrees, thus providing alot of the benefits already mentioned.

The 130 is that much better than the 140. I know, coz' I've run them both. The stock 150 size was selected by Triumph strictly for looks and it (they) actually compromises the R3's handling characteristics and overall behavior over the road. Either of the two front tires mentioned, should, properly mounted, balanced and maintained, give their users noticeably better mileage than any 150 sized tire, as well.

very well Phil, you convinced me when times come I shall do the switch to the smaller size thanks for all that pertinent in
one question since I use only the front brake will a 130 put enough rubber on the ground that a full brake application will scrub the speed as well as a 150

.now what is SKIP full handle got to send him a PM

Back