alexwasserman

.060 Over
Ride
R3T 2008, Trophy 1200 1995
Hey all,

Anyone have a way to convert the Triumph stock seat (I have the long-haul 2-up seat it came with), into one that doesn't require 3 bolts?

My other bike ('95 Trophy) just unlatches with the key. This is much easier to access the space underneath.

Given that the heated grips on the R3T seems to cause the aux fuse to blow regularly, I'm always getting under the seat. Undoing the three bolts is horribly time-consuming.

Is there a better way? Velcro? Duct-tape? Or, am I the only one that seems to need to be under the seat all the time, enough to find it irritating?

Thanks,

Alex

It's one of those imponderable mysteries why the seat on the R3T bolts on yet has a key latch on the Standard/Roadster. And why the side covers just clip onto the R3T so they can fall off, yet are secured with bolts on the other models.

The whole rear end of the Touring is different, and mostly not in a good way. One solution to the bolt on seat is to buy a Corbin. It has a flat bar with a hole in the middle that bolts to the frame and runs across the top of the battery. The seat attaches to that hole and is key operated. Of course, not everybody likes Corbin seats.

I have a Corbin on my other bike ('95 Trophy 4), and it's pretty comfortable, definitely a huge improvement over stock. But, on the Rocket I find the Triumph seat already very comfortable.

I have vague memories of seeing something do something like a ring of velcro around the bottom, but can't remember which Rocket model it was, and can't find the page, and it doesn't sound like the best idea.

Hey all,

Anyone have a way to convert the Triumph stock seat (I have the long-haul 2-up seat it came with), into one that doesn't require 3 bolts?

My other bike ('95 Trophy) just unlatches with the key. This is much easier to access the space underneath.

Given that the heated grips on the R3T seems to cause the aux fuse to blow regularly, I'm always getting under the seat. Undoing the three bolts is horribly time-consuming.

Is there a better way? Velcro? Duct-tape? Or, am I the only one that seems to need to be under the seat all the time, enough to find it irritating?

Thanks,

Alex

I really don't need to get under there that often. I'm constantly pulling off the left-hand side panel to get at the trickle charger cable I have hanging out there, though. It is a pain in the butt to get under the seat though, especially the rear bolt holding the stock seat down - that thing is fragile, I came within a hair of stripping the threads in the mounting hole which would have been a huge pain in the butt, having to take the bike apart and put a new whatever-it-is that's threaded in there on the underside of the fender. Probably going solo seat so that leaves just two large ones, not that bad to screw back on.

Hey all,

Thanks,

Alex

Yup...Three screws are a pain, but I would work on resolving your issue with the heated grips. It is probably for the best that it is a little difficult to remove your seat. I have been doing some research on some of the ignition switch failure complaints, especially on the roadster. I have looked at the circuit diagrams for the Rocket and developed a simple bypass for the switch should the need ever arise. Without the fork being locked and the seat being easily removed, I could bypass your ignition in the fuse box with three simple jumpers connections. I could have your bike up and running in less than a minute if I wanted to steal it. It's probably best the screws are a bit of a pain and the seat doesn't come off with little or no effort. I would probably agree with DRMD421...the seat sets pretty tight without the bolts and you could probably ride without them.

Back