Best Gear Oil?

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
The service manual recommends Mobilube 1 SHC 75w/90, which is very hard to find. I see an old thread on this subject in which Amsoil "Severe Gear" was recommended. Is there a better gear oil that is widely available?

The service manual recommends Mobilube 1 SHC 75w/90, which is very hard to find. I see an old thread on this subject in which Amsoil "Severe Gear" was recommended. Is there a better gear oil that is widely available?

With some more digging I found the 2012 Triumph "Service Data Sheet" which specfies for bevel box oil "Castrol Syntrax Long Life/Castrol SAF-XO-75w/90 fully synthetic hypoid oil".

With some more digging I found the 2012 Triumph "Service Data Sheet" which specfies for bevel box oil "Castrol Syntrax Long Life/Castrol SAF-XO-75w/90 fully synthetic hypoid oil".

Can't find that dam* stuff in the USA either!

I use the Mobil 1 product as that was the recommended gear oil when Triumph was in bed with Mobil 1. I also change mine every spring since it is only about 6 oz of oil. What can I say ? It works just fine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I use Lucas.

I became a Lucas fan when I had an old Corvette. It developed a sort of hard spot in the steering when turning left. Just when I decided to sell it, it started leaking power steering fluid also. When in an auto parts store I noticed that Lucas power steering stop leak says "Will stop all leaks and steering hard spots or your money back" I thought that was such an amazing claim that I had to try it. One bottle and the leak stopped and the hard spot was gone. I will never understand it but it made me a believer in Lucas.

I have no problem finding it here in Mass. I get it at AutoZone..they will order it for you if you ask them to. If not get it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...aps&hvadid=3483836685&ref=pd_sl_8rvg9m93jo_pp

Locator:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/storelocator/storeLocatorMain.jsp?targetPage=storeLocatorResults

I checked Autozone before posting my question but the only Mobilube 75w/90 I found there was not "SHC" but was "LS", which I assume stands for limited slip. I'm not sure the "LS" is the same "SHC" oil that was recommended by Triumph but I'll defer to the experts.

That's the one I use as it was the sticker on the diff housing when I got the Bike, and the service specifications specify this lubricant.

I've been using Mobil 75W/90 in both the RK and Rocket i just spent two hours and got about fifty different answers on SHC and LS usage. A lot of Harley owners have been using the LS. I'd be interested in what the experts have to say also...:confused:

Back