Battery drain due to ignition bypass?

CvSisinthehouse

Supercharged
I put the ignition bypass on this summer, now that its cold my battery wont hold a charge. Got the battery replaced and the same thing happens. No problems last winter with this. Are the headlights using too much juice?

If you are referring to the headlight relay mod, then it is not likely to be the issue.

The Roc is notoriously fickle about cold weather starting. Some don't have problems but it seems that most of us do.

Throwing new batteries at the issue is not going to solve it. The first thing to do is replace the negative side battery cable with a larger one. There's a good thread on this. This is the cheapest and most effective mod to address the cold starting issue.

Next mod, if you care to, is replace the 1.2 kW starter motor with a 1.4 kW one from a 99 Toyota Solara 2.2. Direct bolt on replacement that takes less than a half hour to do.

There is also a starter relay mod but I haven't done that one myself.

You might want to think about using a battery tender also. I found the slightest drop from 12 volts causes starting problems.

yes we need more info. how much time does it take 1 day,1 week 1 month? lights should not be a problem unless you leave them on for an hour without the motor running. if the problem is overnight you might have an alternator prob shorting.
in cars the draw of the alternator runs down the battery in about three weeks. that's why they need a battery tender.
hth herman

I'll second tdragger about getting a larger negative battery cable. I also replaced the positive. Went from 8 gauge to 4 gauge. We have had some early mornings here down to 27 degrees and the bike starts right up even without being on a battery tender. I was having the same problems as you and throwing new batteries at the problem. It is much cheaper to throw a new cable at the problem and you won't have a perfectly good motorcycle battery sitting in your garage doing nothing.

You could check for an electrical drain by disconnecting the + battery cable and checking for any current draw between the cable and the terminal. If this reads zero then look into the suggestions above. Most likely is the need for a heavier cable.

Ok I will look for a larger cable. I have started it in the morning sometimes, ridden 15 miles to work, then 9 hours later it doesn't start. The bike is outside while I am at work and I do have the electric gloves going on while riding. I charged it Thursday night overnight, then it started Friday morning, and luckily it was almost 60 degrees Friday so I didn't have to charge it, but it was kind of weak. I will search for the larger cable thread. Thanks for the replies.

Back