Awful backfiring.....

mikewd

.060 Over
Ride
'12 R3 Roadster
Riding a '12 roadster and installed shorty's for roadster pipes....which eliminated cats located in stock silencers....also installed PCV and Autotune. Installed jardine map and ran fine. Then I replaced stock collector pipe with boxes with a "box less" pipe. That's when I got the backfiring issue between 2000-2500 rpm's coming down. Extremely loud and not just popping. Any suggestions for a map for this configuration?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Out the back end. Going for Dyno today and also read not to run 93 octane which I've been using. Switching to 89 as recommended.

Only need hi octane or premium fuel if you have high compression pistons.

Where did you get dyno'd for $80??
In Brookfiield Connecticut USA at Dyno Solutions. Great story....guy left a large company building dyno machines....built a portable building specifically designed to house Dynojet machine...he spent over an hour adjusting each gear a fuel mixture at rpm band in 250 increments. He charted all restrictions and printed the engine metrics...will decide later what I want to remove in what gears later.
Can't believe the difference....on ride home fuel consumption went from 25 to 35 mpg....torque and hp improvement was very apparent. Best of all, I could downshift without people thinking there was a shooting in progress.

Dyno is the way to go.....now just have to avoid temptation to unleash what the factory has done to protect us from ourselves! At that price I plan on doing an annual spring check-up

Back