patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
Just replaced the stock Metzlers.....put Avons on. I have had Metzlers on other bikes and hated them....didn't like them on the Rocket either. 6500 miles and both front and rear were trashed. I realize these are heavy bikes but so were my prior. Even after aprox 3000 miles stability and grip went to hell with the Metzlers. Put the Avons on and I realize they are brand new tires so they have a lot of bite right now but if anyone cares about my opinion (my wife sure doesn't) the Avons are by FAR...and I do not promote brands......a FAR better tire. I just hope I can get a little more life out of them but even if not, they are by far a better fit for these bikes. Spend the few extra bucks.

Just replaced the stock Metzlers.....put Avons on. I have had Metzlers on other bikes and hated them....didn't like them on the Rocket either. 6500 miles and both front and rear were trashed. I realize these are heavy bikes but so were my prior. Even after aprox 3000 miles stability and grip went to hell with the Metzlers. Put the Avons on and I realize they are brand new tires so they have a lot of bite right now but if anyone cares about my opinion (my wife sure doesn't) the Avons are by FAR...and I do not promote brands......a FAR better tire. I just hope I can get a little more life out of them but even if not, they are by far a better fit for these bikes. Spend the few extra bucks.
A lot of us on here run the Avon on the front and the Bridgestone exedra max on the rear, excellent combo

I put a new set of Avons on this year and so far I have 6500km on them and they don't look 1/2 wore out to me. As far as traction I haven't noticed a difference. I didn't have problems with the Metz's.

RUN an Excedra Max 130 on the front also and get rid of the Avon
Hi Both....the Excedra is 240/55/16 for rear. That fits OK instead of stock 240/50/16? Just a touch wider. I am a big Avon fan but from what I was reading these wear quick also. What are folks getting for miles on the Excedra?

Make sure that it's the Exedra MAX that we're talking about and not the plain, old, Exedra. the Max adds .47 inches in height and virtually eliminates the nearly 7% speedometer deviation found on older models (pre-2010, I think) running the OEM Metzelers.

Also, if you don't have ABS, the Exedra Max 130 is the perfect pairing for the 240 Max rear!

Make sure that it's the Exedra MAX that we're talking about and not the plain, old, Exedra. the Max adds .47 inches in height and virtually eliminates the nearly 7% speedometer deviation found on older models (pre-2010, I think) running the OEM Metzelers.

Also, if you don't have ABS, the Exedra Max 130 is the perfect pairing for the 240 Max rear!
Hi Phil...you are correct on the 7% deviance on the speed. Drives me nuts. What kind of milage are folks getting out of the Exedra Max?

By most reports, 8-10,000+... I ride hard on mostly hilly and twisty backroads, quite often in lower gears for greater thrust and acceleration - most would characterize me as an aggressive rider. My first Ex. Max gave me nearly 9,000 miles and it looks like my second one will at least equal that. In contrast, I never got better than 7-7,500 miles out of the OEM Metzeler rear and their front tire started to cup well before reaching those marks.

Back