Auxilliary Lamps Kit - help!

Dyngoo

Standard Bore
Ride
2010 Rocket 3 Touring 1978 Honda CB400F
Sorry if this is a bit picture heavy.

I have just started to fit the Fog Light Kit (A9938085) to my UK spec 2010 R3T which I bought on eBay (new & unused). I have since found out that I have the US kit and appreciate that this may be the reason for my problem!

All went well until I got to instruction 47 on the manual :-

The problem is that the only 3 pin connector on the main harness doesn't fit with the accessory loom provided with the kit (A9930147/2) as it is a different shape.

Bike Loom

Accessory Loom

The wire colours seem correct (Blue / purple/ black) however. the order of the wires is different between the accessory loom and the bike (see pics).

Bike Wire Connections

Accessory Loom Wire Connections

Has anyone come across this sort of issue before?

Will I be OK in breaking the accessory loom connector and simply connecting the wires to the bike loom in the correct order?

I have read how poor the R3T electrics are and don't really want to do something that will make them worse!

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't have the R3T so I can't go out and check the plugs. However, one thing Triumph has done very well is to use different plugs for everything, making it impossible to plug the wrong things in. I would double and triple check that there isn't another plug hidden somewhere that does fit. If you have all the original air ducting then that can be a headache. Also, if you want to check the manual, then look below.

One other possibility is that they changed that particular plug at some point in the production run. Usually when that happens you get a VIN specific part number though.

I believe there should be a sub harness in the kit for connecting the light harness to the bike wiring. If there isn't, the Part no "might" be A9930147.

The UK wiring and the US wiring is the same - if you look at the US Aux kit and the EC Fog kit, the harnesses are identical part numbers - and there are not different main harnesses for different markets.

As far as the Schematic goes, the ONLY 3-way accessory connector on the bike is the Heated Grips connector (item 48 on schematic) - and the Aux lamps connector is a 2-way (58 on schematic) - unless that is a mistake and is really a 3-way but not marked correctly on the schematic (you would expect a 3-way to be honest)

The grips connector is for sure that Tyco/Amp Econoseal connector (with the yellow insert); the other one on the harness is a Tyco/Amp MultiLock type.
So I suspect that you have not found the aux lighting connector and additionally, the schematic is in error, it should really be a 3-way.
(It would not be the first error I'e come across!!!!!)

Here's something to verify you have found the Grips connector - that purple wire on that one comes off Fuse 3 for that circuit - measure the voltage then pull Fuse 3 - if it goes away, you definitely have the
The Purple wire for the aux lights connector comes off Fuse 1.

Also, whereas the grips connector has a Blue wire, the Aux lamps connector should be Blue/Black, originating from the switch on the left side control
The blue wire will be 'hot' with ignition on, so you would have no control using the OEM switch.

Keep looking around the area behind the headstock - has to be in there somewhere, believe you just haven't found it.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have another look tomorrow at the main loom and see if I can find another connector. The bike doesn't have a tank stand / prop so its quite hard to root around under the tank.

The wiring loom that came with the lights is definitely a 3 way connector and the manual also seems to show a three way connection.

I'll also try DEcosse's suggestion to test the purple Fuse 3 wire.

David

There are several open connectors under there. One is for the heated grip kit, one is for this, and there may be others as far as I know. The aux light plug should be purple and blue-black striped according to the electrical schematic (a two-wire connector, as @DEcosse says). You don't need more than two wires to power a lamp. Or two lamps, connected in parallel.

As I recall I had to go digging for it when I installed mine (my bike also came without the kit). It was a short nub of a thing, practically under the rest of the wires. I remember it was smallish, square and quite different from the much larger heated grip connector (which I installed earlier).

Last edited:
The aux light plug should be purple and blue-black striped according to the electrical schematic (a two-wire connector, as @DEcosse says). You don't need more than two wires to power a lamp. Or two lamps, connected in parallel.....

Note however that the Purple is Positive (constant Power) and the Blue/Black is ALSO Positive - coming from the switch; You cannot power a lamp off two Positives! :D
There is a relay in the accessory harness and logic says that the 'Power' (Purple) would go to the Common (30) and the Switched Positive to the Coil (86) - meaning that you need a ground which would be required for the coil negative (85) in order to turn on the relay; the output (87) plus ground would then be 2 wire which would feed the lamps themselves.

i.e. it HAS to be be a 3-way on the main harness, therefor the schematic MUST be wrong.

Back