Aussie Rocket Captains, Please read and help!!

The Kiwi

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Classic
Last week we remembered Police Officers who have paid the ultimate price whilst on duty, Line of Duty Deaths (LODD) are one of the greatest risks to Cops, whereas the opposite applies to our Professional Firefighters. Most LODD's caused by cancer occur late in their service or after they retire.

This Bill is being voted on next Thursday 13th Oct. Please contact your local MP's and Senators to help them to decide to vote in Favour of this Bill.

Federal Parliament is considering legislation to assist Australian Firefighters who get cancer due to chemical exposure.

Almost every fire involves deadly toxins, carcinogens and other chemicals, which get through their protective clothing, onto their skin and into their bloodstream.

Please request that your politicians URGENTLY support the Fair Protection for Firefighters Bill 2011.

www.protectyourfirefight ers.com

Firefighters with cancer shouldn't have to use up all their leave, take time off without pay, cover their own medical bills, and rely on family and friends for handouts. Firefighting is a unique profession. When the public flees to safety, firefighters go forward into the danger.

Give our firefighters the same support they get in Canada and the USA. Show them you care. Tell your MP today.

The United Firefighters Union of Australia have been party to legislation to protect it's members that will enact presumptive legislation to presume certain Cancers are work related after differing lengths of service.

Follow the link and email your MP's and Senators
Protect Your Firefighters
www.protectyourfirefight ers.com

Thanks for reading,

Mal the Kiwi.
Senior Fireman
31 years Service.

I'm a volunteer firefighter and have been a member for 30 odd years so fully understand your thread. Unfortunately for us if anything happens it affects us in our normal jobs as well even though we have 'compo' etc available to us.

I became a volunteer fireman when I was 16 at that time we had rubber jackets and a few helmets a far cry from firefighters of today. I remember when they first started coming out with plastic gallon milk jugs seems like everyone save them up in a back room we would have a fire and find out highly toxic fumes now you do not go in a fire with out a air pack it has became so training intensive that the word volunteer is hard to apply, training every Tuesday night it has become a job I am still on the County roster I will drive their Trucks and run pump but do not go in fires anymore to old leave it for the young boys even though you have to grab one every now and then and slow him down so he doesn't get hurt gung ho people do not realize what it is to fight a fire.

Meant to mention to you the other day, Mal, that I was a volunteer firefighter for more than 20 years when I lived out near Tarago. Most dealt with grass fires and some scrub but did stop a fair few turning nasty. I'll be watching how this lego goes mate. All the best to you and all your fellow firies.

Back