Anyone here change the throttle cables before?

liquidsmile

Supercharged
Have any advice for doing this job, I am going to have to do this once they arrive. Previous owner had installed the R3 Classic Bars on my bike and I just installed the Thunderbike bars and the throttle cables are to long, the throttle is not snapping back after I let go of it.

Here are some pics of the new bars installed.

I really like how they feel on the bike. Perfect reach for me.

LS

Just a thought LS but cables a little too long shouldn't really stop the throttle for snapping back. I changed grips on my Suzuki and had the same symptom, I had the throttle control pusher too far on to the handlebar and the end of the bar was dragging on the inside of the grip. Moving the control out a fraction of an inch fixed the problem.

I am not sure I am following you, what do you mean by "throttle control pusher" I will play with it tonight and see if it improves any.

Thanks

LS

"the throttle is not snapping back after I let go of it."

There are plenty of folks in here that pay good money to intentionally get their throttle like that. :D

Gotcha, do you mean throttle sleave, I will take the throttle control loose and try to pull it off and put it back on and see if it works.

Thanks

LS

Just letting everyone here know what I found, I took the throttle side off and played with it a little and it was still doing it. To fix it I just made an adjustment at the return cable, the little knurled nut, twisted it and the bottom adjustment sleave, and it is snapping back like it is supposed to.

LS

The cables can't be kinked at all, or bent too sharply. If that happens, they start binding.

Ordering custom length cables and replacing them is a doddle, the only annoying part is that you have to undress the bike enough to get at where they mount to the engine. But, it does give you the option to buy cables in a cool new finish, like imitation braided stainless.

Back