Another "Which Tune" Thread

josmas

.020 Over
Here is my current setup:

2011 R3T
Jardines Exhaust
Triple K&N RU-2780
Butterflies Removed
PCV W/Autotune - Map 020367 (From PCV site - Touring, Jardines, 3-K&N, Butterflies Removed)
Factory ECU Tune = TORS Slip-on tune (not sure of number - I had TORS Slip-ons for a short time before mods above)

I just ordered the Ramair filter and the TuneECU cable

I downloaded the TuneECU software and took a look at the OEM tune and was very intimidated.
I also searched around here for ideas on a tune I should run with my current setup plus Ramair and couldn't find anything clear.

I am thinking The PCV-AT will continue to take care of A/F, but it sounds like there is some benefit in adjusting ignition timing and maybe a few other tweaks with TuneECU.

Can anyone provide some guidance?
Maybe I shouldn't make any changes?

Thanks!

Read the tune that's in your ecu and save it.
Here is my current setup:

2011 R3T
Jardines Exhaust
Triple K&N RU-2780
Butterflies Removed
PCV W/Autotune - Map 020367 (From PCV site - Touring, Jardines, 3-K&N, Butterflies Removed)
Factory ECU Tune = TORS Slip-on tune (not sure of number - I had TORS Slip-ons for a short time before mods above)

I just ordered the Ramair filter and the TuneECU cable

I downloaded the TuneECU software and took a look at the OEM tune and was very intimidated.
I also searched around here for ideas on a tune I should run with my current setup plus Ramair and couldn't find anything clear.

I am thinking The PCV-AT will continue to take care of A/F, but it sounds like there is some benefit in adjusting ignition timing and maybe a few other tweaks with TuneECU.

Can anyone provide some guidance?
Maybe I shouldn't make any changes?

Thanks!

20367 is the tune for the totally stock Touring. As you said, you have the fuel nailed down with the PCV. Why do you think you should change the ignition? In the past, people have copied the ignition table (I3) from gear 5 into the lower gears to make the low gear ignition more advanced. However, comparing the R3R tune for TORS to the Touring tune, where they are different, the Touring ignition is more advanced.That would seem counterintuitive if you think advanced tuning is always better. But the Touring power is restricted with less fuel and closed secondary throttle plates. The ignition probably needs to be advanced to get whatever power is available under these conditions.

When you get TuneECU working:

1) Read the map in the ECU and save it. Compare it to 20367 from the TuneECU site to make sure that's what's in the bike.

2) Change all the values in the secondaries table to 100%. Even though you've removed the secondaries, the ECU still thinks they're in there. This cannot be optimal, even though you might not notice it.

3) I don't like the idea of messing with the ignition. However, your bike is going to look a lot more like the R3R than the Touring, especially in terms of fueling and exhaust and intake flow. In TuneECU, you can copy the I3 table from the 20776 tune (R3R with TORs) into the I3, I2, and I1 table in the 20367 tune. They're the same engines so this shouldn't be a problem.

Tripp has a Roadster tune for Jardines and 3 K&N's but it is for the older Roadsters. This is not compatible with the Touring tunes in TuneeCU so you can't copy tables back and forth between them.

Last edited:
Thanks.
This all makes sense. I have never put in on a dyno, but the bike runs great as-is. From what I have read here, the Ramair will help it breath a little easier than the K&N 2780s and still allow the bear claw to remain in place, so I though that would be an easy upgrade. While I am tinkering, I thought I might as well tweak things with TuneECU, but it sounds like there may not be much to gain there.

It might be best to install the Ramair and let the Auto-tune trim things out and leave it at that.

Thanks.
This all makes sense. I have never put in on a dyno, but the bike runs great as-is. From what I have read here, the Ramair will help it breath a little easier than the K&N 2780s and still allow the bear claw to remain in place, so I though that would be an easy upgrade. While I am tinkering, I thought I might as well tweak things with TuneECU, but it sounds like there may not be much to gain there.

It might be best to install the Ramair and let the Auto-tune trim things out and leave it at that.
Hi, I have just fitted a Ramair Kit today..I found that the clips supplied were causing the rubber to go out of round and not fit properly :( I have used the original clips which fit better..No other problems with fitting the kit..:)

Hi, I have just fitted a Ramair Kit today..I found that the clips supplied were causing the rubber to go out of round and not fit properly :( I have used the original clips which fit better..No other problems with fitting the kit..:)

Thanks for the heads-up!

So I incorrectly stated my PCV map. I'm running the PCV map 21-003-006, which is for a R3T running ECU map 20367, and Jardines, 3-K&N, and Butterflies Removed.
I believe my ECU has 20368 in it since I had TORS prior to the Jardines. I'll know once the cable arrives.

So, my question now that I've cleared that up is, should I run 20367 or 20368? Or, as Doug suggested, run 20367 with the I3 table from 20776 plugged into I3, I2, and I1? Or, maybe something else?

Let us know. I am very happy with the performance I am getting. My set up is the same as yours.

I've got Ramair on the way as well. I never did like how the K&N 2780s fit under the bear claw. I've never had this thing on a dyno, so I won't have any scientific data, but I'm hoping the Ramair and a little ECU adjustment will give me a little more power, especially since my power to weight ratio seems to get worse as I get older. :D

Back