Air horn installation.

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey guys, I've posted a few pics of how the air horn mounting turned out. See my photo album (newest 3 photos). I have a few more but not as informative as these. I really like the hinged "P" clamp from Kuryakyn, it sure put the horn just where I imagined it to be.
I gotta get some black wire ties though.

Too many questions

Rusty:

Couple of things....
First,
I like the zip ties. Nothing wrong with blue. Besides, I bet you got them from Tomo.
Second:
Is the horn waterproof, that is, the mouth is facing forward like a "scoop"? Not a problem if you don't ride in the rain but I always seem to get caught in the rain. If it is rain resistant, one on the other side would be even better, and louder.
Third:
If you aren't sure about the water resistant issue, do a First Article Test and report back. I'll get a couple to mount to my Rivco's.

Good one on the "First Artical" test Flip. We do a lot of that here at work, but unfortunately for you, that won't happen.

Anyway, the instructions state (and I'll need to read them again) that if you are going to use the horn in wet conditions, you must put a tube on the intake nipple & route the other end where it will not "draw in" moisture, which I would assume would be detrimental to the internal workings over time, if not, immediately. I'll check to see if there is a stipulation about moisture in the horn "scoops". I'm not certain what the void design is like once up inside the horn body, but maybe it's not going to allow water in, unless you are riding through a deluge. I know there is a statement that the horn "must" remain vertical within 15 degrees any direction. Not sure why.

I do have an idea to position a "shield" in front of the trumpets, by some means, just in case I get caught out. Maybe a vinyl "wrap" with Velcro along the bottom edges. Carry it in the new "luggage compartment" to have handy in case it's needed. "Hey, that sounds like a winner". And sound travels thru vinyl real good.

If one is mounted on the left side bar, in the same manner as I have done, it would point into the radiator, but no big deal. From the front view, it would not look as intimidating as the one on the right.

Will respond a little later.

Last edited:
Looks good Rusty. I'm looking forward to our next visit and a test of those fancy Italian horns. Nice pictures and description of install. Looks pretty straight forward.

I'm trying to figure out where to mount my "Deutschland uber alas" horns.:) Thought it a good way to get folks to stand at attention when I pass.:eek:

A little more info Flip. The only statement that even reads as though it is calling your attention to be cautious is the horn's orientation. "Must be installed with the air cylinder vertical within 15 degrees (accompanied by a small diagram)". It goes on to state the air intake tube must face toward the rear. or be routed to the rear by a plastic tube to prevent derbis (that's layman's term for "debris") from entering.

Nothing about protecting the horns from getting wet or even a mention of keeping water off the unit. I would then surmize that there is no reason to protect them, though "I" will when at all possible. I was concerned that when I added the ~3 foot of tubing (which I routed up under the gas tank & held it in place with the open end facing rearward), the horn would not "breath" as well as normal. It would appear to not affect the functionality in the least.

Now, I know that wind and rain mixed together allows for moisture to get in every knook & cranny on anything, but I wonder if the openings up inside the horns are "deep" enough & "small" enough that to get moisture up there by just riding in the rain would really be possible. Now if you ran the front tire thru a poodle (ha ha) and created a sufficent splash, I'm certain that might do it. I wonder if a call to the manufacturer with the "wetness" question would ease all our concerns. I'll have a look see for a number & let everyone know.

See ya.

You don't like blue electrical ties?? I invested in a subsidiary of Corbin that makes those, and pink ones too. When I'm stinkin' rich don't be touchin' on me....

Back