Advise for 2012 Roadster mods to a New Guy to the Group

LDESTRUKTO

.020 Over
Several years back I wanted to rent a bike and absolutely fell in love w the R3. With a new job, I was able to get my dream bike about 2 months ago.

2012 Rocket III Roadster in Red Haze. I licked it, therefore its mine! I LOVE the bike for all the things it is, but asthetically I hated the factory exhaust, and all the chrome. I sent everything that was chrome to powdercoat or paint if it was plastic. I put a set of universal slip on Tailgunner exhausts and fabricated a custom pipe to eliminate the cat. It rumbles nicely now! The dealer put in the Arrow tune but they said they could not do anything else, only drop in the triumph approved arrow tune. Other than paint and powdercoat and a seat, that is really the only "mod" I have done. Bolt on, not rebuild.

I have an 83 naked goldwing I have changed TONS of stuff on and I love it. Its an old carburated bike that is simple and hard to really mess up. Im very intimidated and uneducated about changing too much on my new R3. Im looking for some basic, bolt on, or plug and play type mods to make the most out of the bike.

I want the triple K&N filter set up for sure. Everything I have read so far is that doing so will require a tuner. I have never worked with tuners, and as such I have NO experience reading or setting them up. Im confident I can get much better performance out of the bike with the new filters, and mufflers (MUCH more open exhaust 1.75" 3 into 1 head pipe opens up to 2.5 pipes going into 4" mufflers)

I am pretty set on the power commander V, but Im a bit overwhealmed with all the info out there on tunes. As a lot of those forumns have mentioned, most everyone around me does either HD or the occasional ****** rocket. My Triumph dealer does not have a dyno, and even at that is 110 miles away, and is the closest.

Anyone that can point me in good directions would be great. Im not sure if the power commander is an easy set up (as far as using the laptop etc) or if it is something that I need to hire out. I already looked up the distance to Wayne's in AL if need be. I have no problem paying someone for their knowledge, my only concern is that if I need to change anything, will I be completely lost? Is it reasonable to think that I could put in the tuner myself, and program it without any previous experience, and no dynojet resources physically nearby?

I dont want to start a project that experience people would say I am likely to get in over my head. Most of my bike background is in fabrication, and body work/basic wireing, NOT in programming electronic or making internal engine changes.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give some insight on where to start looking for education resources. I just dont want to get in the middle of changing filters and adding a programmer and have a dead bike I have to trailer somewhere to get fixed.

Hey welcome from Downunder. I won't begin to try to answer your questions as I know someone will give you all the info and advice you need - and also some you don't. ;)
But I can say that you will not be overwhelmed and it is all doable. And when you stuff something up, (sorry, if) there'll be help here when you need it.

Welcome Mate from Brisbane Australia,
Have heard Auto Tune is a must with PCV.
I don't have one yet so I can't really help either.

thanks for the welcome. I just didnt want to spend $500 or so (trip filters and PCV) and then have to tell my girlfriend I cant go riding because I cant figure out the program.

Im down near Carbondale. Got my bike from St Louis, and my dealer (Moto Europa) has been amazing, but they dont do dyno work.

Im going to post the more specific question in the tuner section, but researching the pricing they seem to have several of "last years" model available for under $320 USD and they are listed for roadsters from 2008 -2011. The "new model" for 2012 is still around $355 and shows for 2011-2012 Roadsters. Any of you tech Genius's know if anything was actually changed or if I can save around $40 (which would cover the 02 sensor mod) buying the model listed for 2011?

Thanks again gang...finding lots of great information to keep my mind "active" at work!

El Destructo :eek:
Welcome from Perth W.A.

Don't worry unduly Sir.. if you could roll us all up together in here
you would have the Magic Wand you needed ;) ask and ye shall be rewarded :cool:

Sorry :eek:... I mean someone in here will help. :D

Welcome to the site from Ohio. I do not know of any variations in the PCV from 2011 and 2012 but to clarify that dynojet has always seemed to be quite helpful in providing customer service if you call them direct. If you go the PCV route I will also highly recommend the Auto Tune feature as it makes the PCV much more useful. I would rate the install / setup difficulty level for the PCV with / or without the Auto Tune as very easy and I am no computer guru. Stay tuned because there are others on here who may point out lesser expensive options such as tune boy/dobec/tuneecu. For me the PCV w/at was the way to go. Bottom line -- Congrats on the new ride!!

Back