A little more 'in depth' TuneEcu info question

BillB

Turbocharged
Ride
2013 R3T, 1960 Franken-Pan
Now, I am no stranger to FI tuning on Harleys. I have a wideband data logging set up that I have used to tune them with PCIII (which is a signal modifier) or the Harley SERT interface which actually changes the map values on the ECU. That being said, those are pretty simple pieces of equipment on a simple engine management system. The R3 is a completely different animal. F tables, L tables, F-L switch tables, AF tables and .hex..............oh my!

I suppose that I could get the pin out of the DLC on the Rocket, get another plug like the Harley DLC, another TuneECU cable and pick up the necessary inputs to log the info needed, but I really wouldn't know what to do with it after I had captured it. (and I D**M sure don't want to hose my engine in the process)

Is there anything out there like TuneEcu basic map editing for dummies?

Now, I am no stranger to FI tuning on Harleys. I have a wideband data logging set up that I have used to tune them with PCIII (which is a signal modifier) or the Harley SERT interface which actually changes the map values on the ECU. That being said, those are pretty simple pieces of equipment on a simple engine management system. The R3 is a completely different animal. F tables, L tables, F-L switch tables, AF tables and .hex..............oh my!

I suppose that I could get the pin out of the DLC on the Rocket, get another plug like the Harley DLC, another TuneECU cable and pick up the necessary inputs to log the info needed, but I really wouldn't know what to do with it after I had captured it. (and I D**M sure don't want to hose my engine in the process)

Is there anything out there like TuneEcu basic map editing for dummies?
First, what do you want to accomplish? Do you have or want to get upgraded exhaust or intake?

Note that your current Touring tune is restricted, mainly because they close the secondary throttle plates. If you want to increase the fuel by whatever tuning method, you have to open the secondary throttle plates 100% first with TuneECU.

Auto tune with the Power Commander (PC) or Dobek requires that you install a wide band O2 sensor in place of the stock one or in another location. You need to choose A/F targets and then ride the bike until the PC learns what trims should be applied over a range of loads. I'd rather have an expert do the choosing so I got my PCIII tuned on the dyno by an expert.

As to changing those danged tables, you can only do it in real time on a dyno, as you would with a PCIII or SERT, using the new version of Tuneboy, which costs $$$$. With the free TuneECU, you have to turn off the bike to load new trims. This seems like it would be a major PITA since you've got a large matrix of throttle vs RPM for the main fuel tables (F) and manifold pressure vs RPM for the L tables. You need to change both. The F-L switch is set so that at low throttle, fueling is based on manifold pressure, which is more sensitive to changes in throttle than throttle position. If you set the switch to zero, it will use only the F tables, but then you would be back in carburetor land.

The nice thing about the Power Commander is that it doesn't know which fuel tables are being used - it just creates a trim. For the older bikes, you couldn't change the timing but I believe Dynojet has an ignition module which can. Probably not necessary to do anything other than advance the timing in the lower gears to match the timing in the higher gears, unless you change the cams or add a blower.

Last edited:
You could always get a PCV with AT and that would do the same as your old HD setup, but with better results. ;) I have a very good base tune in my ECU which was supplied by @HansO and was based on a tune that I gave to him, which was Dyno tuned on my bike by PowerTripp. Hans0 also has a very good tune for the PCV, which the AT feature aims for. I am sure that if you ask him nicely, and let him know what model and modifications you have, he will also set you up as well.

First, what do you want to accomplish? Do you have or want to get upgraded exhaust or intake?

Note that your current Touring tune is restricted, mainly because they close the secondary throttle plates. If you want to increase the fuel by whatever tuning method, you have to open the secondary throttle plates 100% first with TuneECU.

Sorry, I should have added a bit more info to go along with the question.

The bike is currently stock with the exception of Wayne's de-restricting tune loaded into the ECU. Later on this fall it will have a Reband R3T pipe and a Ramair filter. I am not planning on trying to do the map with my Harley tuning rig. There is a local tuner here that is really good with the HD's on his dyno . I am going to buy an hour of his time to take a look at the bike and the software. I am just trying to see if there is any info that I can pull together that would help him say yea or nay on if he can do anything with it. He is a straight up kind of guy and isn't going to try to BS me.

I am using a good tune in the ECU and the PCV/AT. It works excellently.

The only way to get something better would be to have your own bike dyno-tuned by somebody who really knows what they are doing. The bloke who tuned mine (Powertripp) is now retired, and as I changed the exhaust since it was tuned, I installed the PCV/AT. Very happy with it.

Back