20K mile service issues

The only thing special about the triumph fuel filter is the price and the triumph logo.
$52.72 from bike bandit is outrageous if the Nissan filter is the same size I know what I will use.

Same fuel and it's meant for fuel injection. 20,000 miles does seem pretty quick to change a fuel filter unless you fill up from rusty gas cans.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

I understand you can use Chevrolet side mirrors and used Honda motor oil, too. The headlights are somewhat compatible with a 1978 Pacer and the gear oil can be swapped for Wesson cooking oil. Oil filters from a 1983 Yugo work "almost" as well as the "Triumph" brand and are a buck cheaper. I wouldn't advise it, though.

When did we become so cheap? We drop a chunk of change of nice bikes then pay 1/2 price for filters. Really?

Ah, Yugo and Wessonality! If only Florence Henderson rode a Rocket!

The only thing special about the triumph fuel filter is the price and the triumph logo.
$52.72 from bike bandit is outrageous if the Nissan filter is the same size I know what I will use.

Same fuel and it's meant for fuel injection. 20,000 miles does seem pretty quick to change a fuel filter unless you fill up from rusty gas cans.

Interesting point, I hadn't checked the price. The filter is the same as used on a Daytona 600 and a Speed Four. Think I'll see if I can get my hands on one. Like you said, there's nothing special about a fuel filter. As long as it fits you're fine.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

I understand you can use Chevrolet side mirrors and used Honda motor oil, too. The headlights are somewhat compatible with a 1978 Pacer and the gear oil can be swapped for Wesson cooking oil. Oil filters from a 1983 Yugo work "almost" as well as the "Triumph" brand and are a buck cheaper. I wouldn't advise it, though.

When did we become so cheap? We drop a chunk of change of nice bikes then pay 1/2 price for filters. Really?

Ah, Yugo and Wessonality! If only Florence Henderson rode a Rocket!

If you're completely ignorant to mechanics just say so.:cool:
Go ahead and through you money away anyway you like. It's your right to do so.

I had some other comments but I prefer not to start a big pissing contest.

Not yet.:rolleyes:

After doing a little research it looks like the 78 pacer headlights might work if the diameter is the same but you would loose the pilot light.:cool:

You guys ......

Dan, it's ok. Tips like the Nissan compatible filter are good to know. They all get made on the same assembly line with different manufacturer name and part number inked on them.
I'm sure you might have seen a "How it's made" episode where they make oil filters ... different brands are made on the same line. Triumph is just like GM, Nissan and others ... they don't make their own stuff like that, sub contractors like Bosch, Nippon Denso, AC and others sometimes don't even make everything they put their name on. When I worked for GM, the parts dept had cross reference books full of part numbers from many suppliers that allowed them to find replacement parts that were used on different makes under different part numbers by different suppliers. If you wiped them down with paint thinner, the part under the paint was the same.

My 20K service was in June 2008 & cost $337.81. They noted "air filter and fuel filter were in excellent condition - no need to replace at this time" (I had replaced the air filter the year prior). "Fuel pressure was measured to be a maximum value indicating no blockage"
If Triumph has changed their recommendations, maybe it was comments like these from their dealers that precipitated it.
That being said, they also did a couple of other things that, if I start to think about them now, will just make me totally po'ed all over again. Doesn't matter, they are no longer a Triumph dealer, but I have never forgotten and I spent a lot of time and effort after that finding a Triumph authorized mechanic that I trust. Literally had the bike parked and unused for months until I was satisfied with the choice. It is absolutely required for me, doing it myself is not an option but don't feel sorry for me, because I make **** sure I know everything that's being done and why. There are good ones out there, but you may have to travel... you have the responsibility for oversight, you cannot just blindly trust.

It is a good sized filter, so I could see if lasting awhile and I could why it would cross reference with automotive applications. I think that the oil filter also crosses with some Honda autos too.

I'm currently running a mobile 1 oil filter that is also used on a Kia with Lucas 20-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil. The engine runs noticeably quieter with the Lucas oil.

We really need to start a sticky just for cross reference part numbers for other makes that work on the R3. It would save us "Do-it-your-selfer's" a butt load of cash.

We really need to start a sticky just for cross reference part numbers for other makes that work on the R3. It would save us "Do-it-your-selfer's" a butt load of cash.

Unfortunately the mobile one filter wasn't a money saver . I should have planned a little farther ahead and bought filters from flip.

Sorry for my part in hijacking this thread.:eek:

Back