20K mile service issues

It's a fool's bet not to stick with the mfr's recommended service intervals, especially with regard to checking/servicing the valves. Your ears alone will not tell you if they require adjustment!;)

I have neither the space, the jack, the tools, nor the inclination to do that. So does that make me a fool, busa? Deviating from the recommended svc intervals would certainly seem to qualify, though!

BTW, I research very aggressively before taking any of my vehicles for service. Just like with going to the doctor, I always try to find and use the "best of breed" available in my vicinity.

That's great. I can't see how they even replaced the in-tank fuel filter in 2 hours.

North County Triumph charges $1150 for the 20K service.

After reading this I checked and they did not change the fuel filter. I stopped by the dealership and asked the service manager why and he told me that he was told by Triumph that the 20K replacement was an error and that 40K was what they now recommend. Also said the filter was the same as used in Nissan pickup trucks.

I have neither the space, the jack, the tools, nor the inclination to do that. So does that make me a fool, busa? Deviating from the recommended svc intervals would certainly seem to qualify, though!

BTW, I research very aggressively before taking any of my vehicles for service. Just like with going to the doctor, I always try to find and use the "best of breed" available in my vicinity.

Just feel sorry for ya. Never knowing what your paying for.
Survey finds more in U.S. avoid hands-on projects or repairs - JSOnline

After reading this I checked and they did not change the fuel filter. I stopped by the dealership and asked the service manager why and he told me that he was told by Triumph that the 20K replacement was an error and that 40K was what they now recommend. Also said the filter was the same as used in Nissan pickup trucks.

I find that very hard to believe (that the 20K fuel filter replacement was an error and that 40K was what Triumph now recommend).

One, where is that in writing? Either from Triumph or anywhere else on the web? Two: the fuel filter, at least on the R3T, is an in-tank filetr and requires a bit more than replacing the old one with a Nissan brand.

Man, we all wish it were that easy!

Lastly, what is everyone else paying for the 20K service? It's supposed to be done per the standard checklist. If there's a new checklist of recommended services at the 10K mile intervals, we would really like to see it!

I could care less about getting it in writing. After all, its pretty easy to diagnose a clogged fuel filter. I'll order one from Bike Bandit and if it clogs, I'll replace it.

And I didn't mean to say it can be replaced by a Nissan filter. He said it is the same filter as used in Nissan pick up trucks. If you've researched part numbers and know otherwise then I'll take your word for it.

I could care less about getting it in writing. After all, its pretty easy to diagnose a clogged fuel filter. I'll order one from Bike Bandit and if it clogs, I'll replace it.

And I didn't mean to say it can be replaced by a Nissan filter. He said it is the same filter as used in Nissan pick up trucks. If you've researched part numbers and know otherwise then I'll take your word for it.

Are you serious? You let a dealer fail to perform recommended service, take his "word for it" and then buy nissan filters?

Uh, OK. Glad your bike is problem free and you won't be needing warranty work anytime soon...

Now, for those serious about maintaining your bikes, and don't want to do it yourselves (that's fine if you're qualified), please insist that the dealer follows the recommended scheduled service...regardless of what other blowhards try to tell you.

Sheesh...

Are you serious? You let a dealer fail to perform recommended service, take his "word for it" and then buy nissan filters?

Uh, OK. Glad your bike is problem free and you won't be needing warranty work anytime soon...

Now, for those serious about maintaining your bikes, and don't want to do it yourselves (that's fine if you're qualified), please insist that the dealer follows the recommended scheduled service...regardless of what other blowhards try to tell you.

Sheesh...

Ok Diego, I'm absolutely serious. I'm not the one that paid $850 for a 20K service. The only thing you got that I didn't was a fuel filter. Lift the tank and look at what it takes to remove the filter, not much. As I said I'll buy a filter from Bike Bandit (I kind of doubt they sell Nissan filters), and if necessary, I'll install it myself.

And yes, my bike is pretty much problem free. Oh and its also out of warranty.

Oh, and please read point 'R' under Prohibited Activities. Calling someone 'blowhard' is hardly considered respectful. Consider this a friendly reminder.

The only thing special about the triumph fuel filter is the price and the triumph logo.
$52.72 from bike bandit is outrageous if the Nissan filter is the same size I know what I will use.

Same fuel and it's meant for fuel injection. 20,000 miles does seem pretty quick to change a fuel filter unless you fill up from rusty gas cans.

Back