• 2014 stops running when clutch is pulled in

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mnpd

Standard Bore
Ride
2014 triumph rocket
2014 rocket touring, nashville tn rocket stops running when i pull clutch in at red light, not it wont keep running. anyone had this problem. this is my first triumph, now i cant ride until my dealer can work me in

Hello MNPD and welcome from VA. I have a 2014 R3T and had the same issue when new. Mine problem turned out to be the TPS, (Throttle Position Sensor). It needed adjusting and my idle was too low, somewhere around 710 RPM which of course we cannot see on the Touring model since there is no Tach. It took the dealer tech about 20 minutes to fix including taking the seat off and putting it back on. One note: make sure they use lock tight on the rear screw holding the seat on; I have lost two of those after the dealer did maintenance on mine…

G'day and welcome. It is strange that the colour of the light affects it. :D However, if you drop the bike into neutral, does it still cut out? If not, then it could be a clutch adjustment problem.

thanks for quick reply. i havent gotten to try the neutral thing but i was on the interstate and motor would not keep running, could not even increase my speed because it cut off so many times. i couldnt even hold it at high rpm to try and over come the problem

Okay, then that is a completely different problem. It helps to have all the information when trying to diagnose something.

Possibilities:
1. TPS. If it is set wrong then it will idle bad and run bad.
2. Fuel filter or fuel pump. If it is the filter then it will be more noticeable at higher revs with more throttle open.
3. Bad fuel.
4. The leads on the three coils (low voltage) are dirty and/or loose. They need to be clean and tight.
5. Spark plug leads are loose at either one end or the other.

There are few simple things to start with.

thank you again, only have 453 miles on motor and only use BP premium gasoline. same place i use for my auto. i will try to get it to my dealer friday. thank you

While it wasn't mentioned I would almost bet that your bike has less than 1,000 miles on it and hasn't been back to the dealer since you bought it. I would further guess that your TPS needs to be adjusted which is usually taken care of on your first service visit. While it is a rideability issue it shouldn't hurt the bike to ride until your dealer can work you in. BTW...if it takes longer than a day or two for him to work you in start looking for a new stealer. Most respond well to a boot in the a$$. Welcome aboard

Back