2012 Roadster with 8,900 miles with a clutch problem!

Porky

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket 3 Roadster. 2012 Burgman 650 Executive.
Today and for the second time in the 1,900 miles that I've put on the bike since I bought it a few months ago from a local Powersports dealer, my clutch has started to slip when under load! It happens at the torque peak of course and at anything over about 25% throttle. If I stay below that point, it isn't noticeable but in passing in 5th gear at say 60 mph, the clutch will start to slip and the RPM's will increase.

Here is a little history: When I test rode the bike, I was easy on it like all the bikes I've had and only rode it for maybe 10 miles or so and it seemed fantastic! A few days later, I took the bike on about a 200 mile ride through the Ozarks and enjoyed the beautiful curving roads, rarely exceeding 65-70 mph, with a steady throttle that I'm sure was never over 1/3 opened and never over 3,000 rpm's. All was fine until about 10 miles from home, as I accelerated easily from a stop sign, the clutch slipped, even when ridden easily and sanely. This happened in the first 3 gears but then hooked up when I let off of the throttle and cruising slowly, I made it home.

When I originally picked up the bike, I noticed that there was absolutely no FREE PLAY at the clutch lever or cable at all but I didn't give it much thought at the time.

Once I got home, I adjusted the cable to allow the correct free play, assuming that the slipping problem was because the clutch plates never fully made full contact with each other, drive and driven, when the clutch lever was released.

I never put my adjustment to the test because riding it easy like I do showed no problems although I never tried to accelerate hard, under a load, in 5th gear, at say 2,500 RPM's until today and PRESTO-the clutch slipped!

I will check a few things before I do something like replace the clutch, either myself or at the dealer but I keep asking myself WHY THIS HAPPENED???? When I bought the bike it was absolutely Pristine and ran perfectly, just serviced and needed nothing. The previous owner was an older guy (70's) who traded it in on a new Rocket touring and according to them was very easy on his bikes. (LIKE ME)

If there was no free play and that allowed slippage for many miles, even if not discernable, this could wear any clutch out---sort of like riding the clutch pedal in a car or truck---bad idea! This may really be what happened. sorry to say.

I would think that with a bike like this, with all of the torque, it would have a bullet proof clutch and if not abused, should last a very long time.

My options of course if some miracle adjustment doesn't work, will be to have the clutch replaced. My natural instinct as a Dyno winning Harley engine builder, is to go aftermarket, say with Barnett and a their Kevlar racing clutch pack like I put in my High performance builds in the past.

The stock clutch scares me if one could fail with so few miles.

Anybody in the States that has had their clutch replaced, I wonder how much it cost?

I am located in Southwest Missouri, near the intersection of Interstate 49 and Interstate 44, 140 miles south of Kansas City, MO, 125 miles East of Tulsa, OK, 60 miles west of Springfield, MO and 70 miles north of Fayetville, Arkansas. There are Triumph dealers in all of the aforementioned cities.

I would really appreciate some comments and opinions.

I love this bike!

Sam:)

Last edited:
If the clutch was adjusted incorrectly then it cause the problems you describe quite quickly.

Replacing the clutch is not difficult if you have reasonable mechanical skills. It can easily be done in 4 hours the first time, and much less with practice. If you look in my signature you will find the instructions for the Detent Spring. They will also work for the clutch replacement.

I would HIGHLY recommend the MTC clutch fibres and their heavy duty springs. They are better than OEM and (when I bought mine 90,000 miles ago) were less expensive.

1900 miles plus who knows how much of the rest of the 7000 other miles that the clutch might have been improperly adjusted. could be the steels are glazed now. Easy job though, but if the dealer did not have it adjusted right the first time I doubt I would let him wrench on it!!!! 4 hours like Ian said then 3 hours every clutch after that :D

Make sure you inspect the lifter shaft and lifter piece in case they got burnt or galled. .

I was thinking the same thing as @warp, about your dealer!

Carpenter racing also has clutch springs.

Just out of interest what sort of mileage do you get from a OME clutch if adjusted correctly on average?
Cheers pete

My standard clutch after 10,000klms. Too many rolling burn outs :rolleyes:
A whole lot of blue plates.
image.jpg

Back