2005 With High idle issues

BigAl1952

Old Opinionated Bastard
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hi Guys
Im new here and I am so frustrated with my 05 Rocket Im ready to shove it over a cliff. It has 9K original miles on it and showroom clean. I really like riding this bike but the only riding I have been getting is back and forth to the dealer. I have put 2 Primary TPS sensors on it and one secondary. Triumph paid for 1 primary a secondary and a stepper motor. I also paid for a stepper motor. I checked the ECM with another ecm that my boss had from his 05. Still high idles with each ecm. Local dealer wont work on it anymore and Triumph said to bad its out of warranty. I told triumph thanks but Im not looking for a free ride I just want my **** bike fixed. 800.00 out of pocket and still high idles. Triumph themsevles from Georgia watched the tech in Ft Collins set the stepper motor and TPS up. Im now seeing that some of you guys are just throwing the stepper motor up under the tank. Is this a true fix and are there any of you that have had issues with doing this. It sounds like a simple fix but if anyone can help a guy out with how to do this it would be appreciated. I really think triumph customer service is just blowing me off as even if the bike was under warranty they dont know whats wrong. Ive been nothing but pleasnt to everone involved. This has been going on since April of 2013. Im tired of it. Thanks Al

A good friend has his disconnected and has no issues and I was told that if you set your warmed up idle (at throttle stop screw) at 900rpm with stepper motor disconnected, you just leave have to leave the wiring hooked up so you don't get error code, the only down side is you don't have a fast idle when cold but fired up it will idle very nicely after a couple of seconds holding the throttle a tad open

Yes Al removing the stepper motor will work and leaving it plugged in under the tank will keep the engine light from coming on. but I am wondering and have always wondered if something like a vacuum line leak, or the block off vacuum ports or even a air leak under the throttle body where it mounts to the rubber plenums would make the bike run lean enough that the O2 sensor tells the ecu to adapt and add more fuel which more air and more fuel might create a higher idle situation. Usually if its the TPS you can shut the bike down and start it back up and the idle will be down for a little while and then after riding it the bugger creeps back up to 2000 or so. Just thinking out loud here.

Yes Al removing the stepper motor will work and leaving it plugged in under the tank will keep the engine light from coming on. but I am wondering and have always wondered if something like a vacuum line leak, or the block off vacuum ports or even a air leak under the throttle body where it mounts to the rubber plenums would make the bike run lean enough that the O2 sensor tells the ecu to adapt and add more fuel which more air and more fuel might create a higher idle situation. Usually if its the TPS you can shut the bike down and start it back up and the idle will be down for a little while and then after riding it the bugger creeps back up to 2000 or so. Just thinking out loud here.
Warp
The shop claimed after Triumph told them to look for leaks that they did check for them. Im not saying that your thoughts hear are not possilble they claimed they checked it. When the bike is cold it wont do the high idle. Its only after she warms up. If you blip the throttle for a short time it wont hang but as soon as she warms up when your run the throttle up to 3k and hold it there for a short period of time and then turn it loose it will start its hang up at 2 k. Last Sunday while riding it I pulled up to one interesection and the light cycled thru the entire intersection and the bike was hung at 2 k for the entire time I was waiting for the green light. Now I have just read about diconneting the stepper motor linkage and leave it in place maybe thats the way to go. I also just went out to clean the crank sensor again and I have checked that but now wondering if I should replace it as I coudnt get the biike to high idle again after wiping it good with a clean rag. Im about to get the whiskey. Al

as far as the stepper motor i would think that you could watch it to see if that is a problem. i watched mine and when i turned on ign it backed off a little then went to a set position.
i think warp has a good idea about checking those hoses it seems like several people have had trouble with them.
i don't know your location but if there is a good bike shop or even a good mechanic that's good on diagnosing problems. or you can get the tune ecu set up and maybe some of the guys can help.
if you didn't post on introduce yourself that might be a good idea.
herman

as far as the stepper motor i would think that you could watch it to see if that is a problem. i watched mine and when i turned on ign it backed off a little then went to a set position.
i think warp has a good idea about checking those hoses it seems like several people have had trouble with them.
i don't know your location but if there is a good bike shop or even a good mechanic that's good on diagnosing problems. or you can get the tune ecu set up and maybe some of the guys can help.
if you didn't post on introduce yourself that might be a good idea.
herman
Thanks Turbo
But as I stated the shop did check those hoses. I know there is a chance there just telling me that to justify there work but I took them at there word. I did go view my steppermotor and it moves just like you said it does. Im now wondering about opening the gap up on the roller as one guy claimed he did by adjusting the steppermoter nut. I did not mention this before but when it did high idle on me recently I did pull on the steppermotor with my fingers and it turned loose of the high idle. This steppermotor is brand new just replaced by Triumph. This is what is making me think that maybe the factory setting of .05 might not always be the right setting. Al

I am one of those owners whose stepper motor has been living under the seat now for well over 8000 miles. I manually set the idle and I have never been happier. Many don't agree with the procedure but it certainly worked in my case. Just FYI you really don't have to removed the entire motor, just unhooking the linkage will accomplish the same thing.....

I have heard of one case that the throttle body casting was porous and would have high idle issues when it was warm, the only way they found it was swapping parts off another bike at the dealership.

Back