2 idle issues. Either too slow, or won't come down while riding.

ConcreteBob

.020 Over
Ride
2007 r3
Ok so I have been reading around on this forum about the idle issues. It seams that since the Triumph fix its only gotten worse. No tune fixes it for more than 5 miles.

So here is the rundown of whats going on. On certain tunes like the stock triumph tune with the Triumph OR pipes and catbox removed, the idle will be ok sitting but while out riding it will not come back down unless you pull the clutch in. It will hang around 1500-2000 so you can mantain 55-60mph lol. If you break and bring it down then it will finally drop. With some of the richer tunes to get rid of the popping on here usually the idle will go way to low to keep it running until its started with the throttle open and eventually it will continue to run but it cycles from almost dying to normal speed idle.

I can usually get the bike to idle correctly by going into the tuneboy program, status screen, and resetting the ICSV with its 4 step process. It never drops completely to .60V but it usually is only .2-.4 above .60v. After I do this the bike will idle like butter and will ride ok for a few miles but usually the high idle problem will show its ugly head. Once returned and rehooked up the Throttle position will read sometimes around 1.3 instead of 0 even though the cables are adjusted correctly and when reset it goes back to 0 like normal.

Im guessing it would be good to just take it to the dealer with laptop in hand and show them what im seeing and doing and see if she can check it with her triumph device and get the same numbers. Then SHE needs to ride it and see for herself what is going on with the high idle or if it happens again, the low idle.

Its almost as if the ECU relearns itself and instead of working better it just turns to garbage. It would almost be best if it could be removed from the equasion and just run at default the whole time.

I have done the 12min idle process a few times though but Im guessing we need to reset everything and do it once when the bike is true cold.

Still this problem is getting seriously anoying and my Dad who is the main rider of this bike is about |--| <-- Close to just going nuts. We have been to the dealer twice to adjust the stepper motor and every time its always better for a short while then it goes back to crap. Im guessing either the TPS is bad, Stepper motor is bad, or something inbetween since the TB's are synced and the bike runs ok when your into it and such.

Check throttle cables and stop.

Have the dealer reset the TPS with their Triumph tool. Otherwise I say replace the TPS and see what happens.

Idle issues

I just had mine in the shop for idle issues like your they had to replace the primar throttle sensor, the tech said the O ring in it dries out and it gets stuck changeing the sinals to the ecu and ups the idle. It sucked but since they replace the sensor I ahave had know problem:D

hmm

Well heres a little update. This morning I retuned the bike with the Triumph Stock Tune designed for TOR pipes and Cat Removed, tweeked it so the secondaries are open, speed limit increased, no O2 Sensor, and upped the rev limit to 6700. After installing the tune I went into the sensor part of Tuneboy and recet the ISCV with its 4 step process again. This time for once it actually came all the way down to .6V (Yesterday it would only go to .62 at the lowest) now when it went +.12 it went +.13 but I thought that wasclose enough. After resetting the adaptions again I started her up and let her run for 30minish (I got a haircut while it idled. :) )

Dad got home about the time I finished so I decided to hop on the back with the laptop and watch the readings as we rode. It was interesting watching the ECU as we rode around but GO FRICKIN FIGURE, IT had no problems whatsoever during our ride. IT was a good 10miles or so but it usually would start to act up within 5. I wonder if it knew it was being watched?

Either way now its running like in the old days so I will keep you guys informed if anything changes. Anyone in the sacramento area need someone to read their ECU with tuneboy while you ride ill be up for it :D

nope

Nope its still with us. The idle was fixed for the most part of today untill about 1/2 way to Reno over the pass. The the idle got hungup around 3000RPM and will not come down untill you sit there for a min or so or you shut off the bike and restart it which then it will be back to normal.

Hmm. Whats odd is that the pipes are glowing red indicating it must be running a bit lean. If this is true then it must be some sensor giving the reading that the Throttle is fully closed when its not which in turn shuts the gas off till idle, but keeps the throttle boddies open just a smidge more causing more air to get in right? We will be out of town for the next 2 weeks but when we get back its dealer time to see about getting that **** TPS replaced. Hopefully thats it because everything else is running fine for once. It holds a **** good idle at 850rpm till it gets hung up high.

It's not unusual for the pipes to glow with a stock tune. If you didn't make any fueling changes to the tune you loaded I would turn the O2 sensor back on and see what happens. Otherwise the 12 min tune pretty much a waste of gas.

Back