05-update kit

Jted3

.020 Over
Ride
'05 Rocket 111
I got the Rocket off my engine today, going to install the update. It went pretty smooth, except broke off the oil pressure switch. Going to dive in tomorrow. any tips from any one who's done it?

I got the Rocket off my engine today, going to install the update. It went pretty smooth, except broke off the oil pressure switch. Going to dive in tomorrow. any tips from any one who's done it?
its pretty straight forward and you already run into one of the things that should have been pulled out first. (Don't ask me how I know :))
Make sure you put the snap ring keepers on the gear shafts right. Bur side or what is the bottom side when they stamped it out in the die. Also before you bolt the two engine cases back together make sure you have all the anti-rotation split pins in the groove, especially the separate bearing case for the out put drive or you will crack it in half. This bearing case is line bored so it is not interchangeable without Gods help!!!!!! I seen a guy not pay attention to this on the .com site and he had to try to have the bearing case half welded back together.

Also when you splitting the engine there is one bolt that hides pretty well under the the oil scavenger pump

2011_0905_140615.JPG

now a view with the scavenger pump removed

2011_0905_140827.JPG

Last edited:
Yes fun and games. I just put mine under the frame and had first test ride on friday. mines a 05 with gearbox fix . Had a mate do most of the work I was his T.A.Most of our mistakes were in oil pressue swich bent yep. stripping the injectors oil tank etc off including the cam chain off to split cases . could have kept most together and flipped it up . went back together and back under the frame complete . running well so far good luck

Yes fun and games. I just put mine under the frame and had first test ride on friday. mines a 05 with gearbox fix . Had a mate do most of the work I was his T.A.Most of our mistakes were in oil pressue swich bent yep. stripping the injectors oil tank etc off including the cam chain off to split cases . could have kept most together and flipped it up . went back together and back under the frame complete . running well so far good luck
Mine is going slow, not much time to work on it. Did the crank sprocket and cam chain guides the other day. needed a puller to get the old one off, new one slid right on. still trying to figure out best way to flip the engine and hold it upside down to split the cases. (working alone) good thing I have my Tiger to ride still.

If you can get a tie down strap underneath it, keep the tightening side to you then you can "push it over with one hand while countering to let it down slowing by holding the strap with the other. Just an idea?

Mine is going slow, not much time to work on it. Did the crank sprocket and cam chain guides the other day. needed a puller to get the old one off, new one slid right on. still trying to figure out best way to flip the engine and hold it upside down to split the cases. (working alone) good thing I have my Tiger to ride still.
I just used a grate I built and put some foam in the bottom for the cam cover to rest on. It was deep enough to get the head and cylinder part down in.

2011_0905_135245.JPG
2011_0905_135303.JPG
2011_0905_135315.JPG
2011_0911_082559.JPG

this way you do not lose your timing between the crank and cam as the head and cam cover do not need to be off.
hope this helps.
note the nice yet cheap rug I bought from big lots good on the knees and goes in the rubbish when the job is complete. I think it was about 8 bucks.

Back